Wednesday, May 21, 2008

For Miss Joy

Joy requested a post wherein I list my reasons for NOT taking the job in DC (and since I love lists and Joy I am more than happy to oblige):

1. I am completely happy with my life exactly the way it is (except for the fact that I don't make a lot of money, which means I have to live at home)

2. Not making enough money, in my opinion, is not a good enough reason to leave NY

3. Although I am excited about the possibility of living in a new city, I think I was more excited about it back when I applied for the job. After I got it, I thought, "Hmm....do I really want to be a tour guide...right now I'm a curator at a museum in Saratoga Springs. That's not too shabby."

4. So basically, I wimped out. I tend to get really excited about the possibility of things, and then when it becomes real...I back down. I will say though that if one or two of my good friends was also making the move I definitely would have gone for it. I would need someone from home to live there, someone other than David. :) But in college I moved farther away and didn't know a soul....I don't get it. I guess I'm more of a homebody now.

I've gotten over the guilt of not taking the job, but from last Wednesday-Sunday, I was positively tortured about the whole thing. I had no idea what to do, and I changed my mind every 5 minutes, and I felt like I was crazy because I honestly couldn't make up my mind. And I had the worst feeling in my stomach when I officially turned it down. But I think I did the right thing. I did what I wanted...not what I should have done. And I think it was right.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I think Reason #1 rocks. We all "wish" for happiness, but when it's looking us in the face we are blind to it, so we keep searching for something "better." I give you tons of credit for knowing you are happy and being ok with remaining happy. You are wise for one so young:)

Joanna said...

Your reasons are valid! Sounds like you made the right decision. Now all you have to do is give yourself a break!

Kate said...

Those are excellent reasons. It was a very adult decision and I think you made it well. Plus, selfishly, I'm totally psyched that you aren't moving away.