Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Break Up

John was out with his friends at Brown's Brewery in Troy, and when I got there last night, he saw me coming up the deck stairs and left his friends to greet me, so when the first words out of my mouth were, "We need to talk," luckily no one else heard. I literally almost couldn't say what I needed to say, but I think he could tell from the look on my face the direction it was headed. I told him I didn't feel a spark, and that I didn't feel the way I think I should feel 3 weeks into a relationship. And then he talked for about half an hour about how HE felt a spark, and it really sucks that I don't, and that he doesn't want to give up, and thinks we should take things slower, and having sex really isn't that big a deal (at this point I interrupted him and said it IS a big deal....can you believe he would be willing to stay in a relationship with someone he knows isn't attracted to him? And he thinks I would be willing to do that?), and that he still wanted to spend the night at my apartment that night. Luckily, I didn't have to lie...I told him I was spending the night with Julia because I didn't want to be alone after breaking up with him. But that last comment really floored me...I just DUMPED you, and you want and expect to spend the night?! wtf. And he still wants me to go sailing next weekend. And he bought concert tickets for my birthday and wants to know if he should sell them. Gah. I'm fine with being friends, going sailing, and going to the concert, but I think it might be easier for HIM if we didn't hang out for awhile, especially because it seems like he didn't get the message that we broke up.

3 comments:

mp said...

Yeah. You need to get a little space here before hanging out regularly as friends. Good for you for standing your ground and telling him how it is!

Joy said...

Wow! It must have been so hard to have that conversation, but it sounds like it was the right thing to do.

Joan said...

It isn't surprising at all...he thinks he will persuade you to feel the spark. About the staying over even though you just broke up w/him - my X wanted to give ME a quickie for my birthday after we agreed to divorce. Yeah, right!