Yesterday was the big day! The America's Next Top Model casting call was from 12-3pm and Andrea (my support) and I got there at 10am and settled in to wait. Radio and TV personalities from Fly 92, Jamz 96.3, and the Capital Region CW were all there.
The deal is that they are only going to pick one girl, who will then meet with the producers of the show. They have our names and phone numbers, and after they review all of our video footage, they'll call the winner. Here's a rundown of how the day went:
10:30am: Andrea and I get in line. Even though it seemed like we were some of the first ones there, there are a LOT of girls ahead of us. I figure it's no big deal, this thing is probably going to go quickly.
11am: The CW crew sets up a stage and cameras right in the middle of Colonie Center, and I realize that I am going to be on video. I start getting very excited.
11:10am: I start checking out the competition. The majority have paired a solid colored shirt with skinny jeans and sensible black heels. I'm glad that I obviously chose the right thing to wear, but kind of bummed that everyone else did too. There are definitely some modelly looking chicks, and definitely some chicks that are just dreaming.
11:15am: A CW person hands me an application for the show and I start filling it out. There are pages and pages of questions, including ones like "What do you look for in an ideal partner," "What would be the worst thing about living in a house full of girls," and "Do you have a strategy for winning the competition." I have fun with it and joke around with a lot of the answers.
12pm: Andrea and I start getting antsy, and the crews finally start bringing girls over to the stage. I stand on my tippy-toes to take a peek and see that not only do we do our best runway walk and say our name and age, we get interviewed by Big Ray from Jamz 96.3 and the whole thing is on camera. I start to get nervous.
12:30pm: (Or somewhere around there). All of the sudden someone says, "Wow, you're really doing it!" I turn around and it's Sam! He was off to a ball game with his son and wished me luck.
12:30-2:45pm: We wait, and wait, and wait. Other people are obviously getting a little rambunctious, and a couple of fights break out. I grin and silently hope for hair pulling.
2:46pm: I finally get to the head of the line, only to be held up by the 17 year old girl in front of me who is causing a scene because she isn't 18 and therefore isn't eligible. I loudly comment to Andrea on the idiocy of not reading the rules of a competition before waiting in line all day for it. Finally the girl gives up. I put my application into a big envelope that has my name and phone number on it. The CW crew leads me back past all of the waiting girls toward the stage. I strut fiercely like the model I want to become. There are chairs full of people all around the stage, and bright lights for the cameras. It's empty except for a microphone and a big white backdrop. I look up and see a LOT of people leaning over the balcony watching. Oddly, I don't feel that nervous anymore, but I am verrry excited.
2:50pm: A CW girl has explained what I'm going to have to do, and I walk out onto that bright stage and face the camera. I say my name, age, height and weight, and then turn and do my walk. (I felt like I didn't really have the opportunity to show it off because we only had enough room to take literally two steps before we had to turn around and walk back. It was a little frustrating.) Then I get back in front of the microphone and Big Ray comes over. I give him a big smile and he says, "Hi, model!" He tells me that he's going to ask a few questions and I should face the camera and pretend he's not even there. I nod and I'm sooo excited and grinning from ear to ear and feeling extremely confident and just really happy. It was such a good feeling. He asked why I wanted to be on the show, and other questions like that. His last question was what I thought about my competition. I smiled big, suppressed every humble instinct (which wasn't difficult) and said: "There's lots of gorgeous girls out there today, but I have the confidence to rock this competition and I'm going to be America's Next Top Model!"

The deal is that they are only going to pick one girl, who will then meet with the producers of the show. They have our names and phone numbers, and after they review all of our video footage, they'll call the winner. Here's a rundown of how the day went:
10:30am: Andrea and I get in line. Even though it seemed like we were some of the first ones there, there are a LOT of girls ahead of us. I figure it's no big deal, this thing is probably going to go quickly.
11am: The CW crew sets up a stage and cameras right in the middle of Colonie Center, and I realize that I am going to be on video. I start getting very excited.
11:10am: I start checking out the competition. The majority have paired a solid colored shirt with skinny jeans and sensible black heels. I'm glad that I obviously chose the right thing to wear, but kind of bummed that everyone else did too. There are definitely some modelly looking chicks, and definitely some chicks that are just dreaming.
11:15am: A CW person hands me an application for the show and I start filling it out. There are pages and pages of questions, including ones like "What do you look for in an ideal partner," "What would be the worst thing about living in a house full of girls," and "Do you have a strategy for winning the competition." I have fun with it and joke around with a lot of the answers.
12pm: Andrea and I start getting antsy, and the crews finally start bringing girls over to the stage. I stand on my tippy-toes to take a peek and see that not only do we do our best runway walk and say our name and age, we get interviewed by Big Ray from Jamz 96.3 and the whole thing is on camera. I start to get nervous.
12:30pm: (Or somewhere around there). All of the sudden someone says, "Wow, you're really doing it!" I turn around and it's Sam! He was off to a ball game with his son and wished me luck.
12:30-2:45pm: We wait, and wait, and wait. Other people are obviously getting a little rambunctious, and a couple of fights break out. I grin and silently hope for hair pulling.
2:46pm: I finally get to the head of the line, only to be held up by the 17 year old girl in front of me who is causing a scene because she isn't 18 and therefore isn't eligible. I loudly comment to Andrea on the idiocy of not reading the rules of a competition before waiting in line all day for it. Finally the girl gives up. I put my application into a big envelope that has my name and phone number on it. The CW crew leads me back past all of the waiting girls toward the stage. I strut fiercely like the model I want to become. There are chairs full of people all around the stage, and bright lights for the cameras. It's empty except for a microphone and a big white backdrop. I look up and see a LOT of people leaning over the balcony watching. Oddly, I don't feel that nervous anymore, but I am verrry excited.
2:50pm: A CW girl has explained what I'm going to have to do, and I walk out onto that bright stage and face the camera. I say my name, age, height and weight, and then turn and do my walk. (I felt like I didn't really have the opportunity to show it off because we only had enough room to take literally two steps before we had to turn around and walk back. It was a little frustrating.) Then I get back in front of the microphone and Big Ray comes over. I give him a big smile and he says, "Hi, model!" He tells me that he's going to ask a few questions and I should face the camera and pretend he's not even there. I nod and I'm sooo excited and grinning from ear to ear and feeling extremely confident and just really happy. It was such a good feeling. He asked why I wanted to be on the show, and other questions like that. His last question was what I thought about my competition. I smiled big, suppressed every humble instinct (which wasn't difficult) and said: "There's lots of gorgeous girls out there today, but I have the confidence to rock this competition and I'm going to be America's Next Top Model!"


4 comments:
You really DO rock!
You go girl! You rock out loud!!!
I love every bit of this! When will they be calling you???
No idea. I don't even know if they're going to announce the winner. I'll have to call the station and find out.
Post a Comment